Thirsty for knowledge? You may enjoy our blog site, the M&B Brewing Blog. Click here, check it out.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Abita Abbey Ale

Abita Brewing Company
Abita Springs, Louisiana

APPEARANCE: 2.25/3
Dark orange-brown in color, persistent, almond-colored head that laces the glass. Hazy.

AROMA: 2.25/4
Citrus-orange, kind of like orange jell-o, or maybe a creamsicle. Malty, some citrus hop.

TASTE: 5.75/10

  • Hop/Malt Balance: 2.25/4: Bitter orange peel. Sour, malty, no noticeable hop flavor. Caramel, raisin, dried apricot, subtle clove. Woody.
  • Aftertaste: 1.75/3: Slight bitter finish, dry finish. Sour aftertaste, fades fast.
  • Mouth-Feel: 1.75/3: Effervescent, maybe too much so. Astringent.

OVERALL: 1.75/3
Just okay. It's a Belgian Dubbel, but not a great one.

TOTAL: 12/20–I'll Try A Pint

NOTES:
Matt:
I've drunk a lot of beers; most of them I'd drink again before this one. I'm almost inspired to brew a dubbel, just to demonstrate how it should be done.
Ben: I've been disappointed with Abita beers before, and this just continues the trend. Just okay, one is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment