Thirsty for knowledge? You may enjoy our blog site, the M&B Brewing Blog. Click here, check it out.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Company
Chicago, Illinois


APPEARANCE: 2.75/3
Black. Espresso-colored head that rings the glass.

AROMA: 2.25/4
Strong bourbon aroma. Oaky. Prune aroma. Mocha notes.

TASTE: 3.5/10
Hop/Malt Balance: 1.5/4: Really bitter hop up front–or is that alcohol? Malty.
Aftertaste: 1/3: Bourbon! Warming bitter. Tongue is tingling. Sourness. Coffee, chocolate, vanilla.
Mouth-Feel: 1/3:
Alcohol. Weird mouth-taste, like your mouth has been laminated. Way, way too boozy.

OVERALL: 1/3: If I want bourbon, I'll buy bourbon. This is like a shot of bourbon dumped into a pint of stout. Entirely lacking in subtlety.

TOTAL: 9.5/20–Anything Else On Tap?

NOTES:
Matt: HUGE booze flavor–a lot more bourbon than I expected. When they said it was aged in bourbon barrels, I didn't realize there was still bourbon in it.
Ben: It's like adding bourbon to a mocha. 13% alcohol, and you can taste it, from start to finish. I can still feel the warming to my toes. This isn't beer, it's a mixed drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment